8.22.2005

The Great Ham-Sneeze Incident,
or Someone New Moves to 575 Rutledge*

So, we got us a renter! Nick will be moving into our extra room the beginning of September. I'll see if he'll let me post his picture here--do you think that would freak him out?

He knows what he's in for, living with us--he got a pretty mild, but accurate, introduction to us two minutes after coming into our house. Walter and I have been noticing how when the two of us are together, men tend to talk to him rather than me, even if I'm the relevant party. (For example: we were at the beginning of the year picnic on campus, and a math professor approached us and started talking. I introduced myself as the new director of the Women's and Gender Studies Program, and he was excited and had heard of me. Walter said, "I'm just here with her." And the guy then proceeds to direct all his comments to Walter. Subconscious sexist socialization at work, kids.) So poor Nick starts speaking to Walter, Walter draws his attention to that fact, we give him a little mini-lecture, and then he's got to maintain his composure while being scrutinized by two on-duty feminists. And he's still decided to live with us.

*See Trey Piepmeier's comment to the previous post.

7 comments:

Catherine Bush said...

Love reading your blog and it almost makes me want to keep mine up :) ... almost. I did post new pictures though!
love you,
C

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BULLSEYE said...

I'm a dog lover and Baxter is a fine lookin pooch. But I see your comments are getting eaten up by spammers. To prevent this go to your Google blogger help page or copy and paste the link below and it should take you there. Just tryin to help.

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=1203

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.