10.17.2006

Interruptus and the Very Best of Singing Sgt. Washington

well, a friend of mine has generously lent me an expensive piece of gear. It dumps the content of a digital audio tape (dat) down to a harddrive and then allows the user to EQ, compress, limit, edit, sequence, blow the nose of, etc. the contents of these dats. Then it burns a really nice quality cd for ya.

What i have done with this is this: I've tried to find any dat i've recorded my own music on and dumped it down. Just doing this is a struggle because i tend to be fairly poor at archiving. Couple that flaw with an exceptionally well-developed sense of self-doubt, and what you get is one very scattered stack of poorly labeled, incomplete recordings. (I have thrown many, many recordings which i now recognize weren't all that bad right into the garbage can. I now tell my drawing students "Never! Ever! Throw anything Away! Never! Ever!")

So, I dumped what i still have to the harddrive and more or less sequenced and mastered myself a greatest hits record.* I would like to upload some of it here for your listening pleasure, but i don't know how to do that. Any suggestions?


Doing all this has also reminded me that...well, i don't do all that well with year numbers... but i was reminded that for like a four year period somewhere there when i was changing from someone being 20 into someone being 30 were the most intense, far-reaching, educational years of my life. The learning curve went almost straight up that whole time and i'm only now starting to figure out what it meant to me. I haven't bothered to blog anything long and oppressive for a while now, so remind me of mentioning this and i'll tell ya about it sometime.


*well, not a greatest hits album, really. It's actually a two-for-one deal. As the post title says : Interruptus and the Very Best of Singing Sgt. Washington. Interruptus is just me and a whole lot of instruments (mostly trombones) . Singing Sgt. Washington is what me and Andy and Dave/John did together.

7 comments:

Kevin O'Mara said...

I'd be more than happy to supply the space to host 'em, if you don't mind them being located at kevinomara.com or something like that.

The Mom said...

I can't wait to hear them. Burning them to cd would make a nice Christmas present for some of your extended family!

keep pushing said...

Hi Walter you might be interested to know that Frank Wick (the sculptor of pop art) is giving a lecture at UTC tonight for the opening of his installation at the Cress Gallery.

A. said...

I've been wanting to be able to introduce Mary to your music. It's a big part of you that she's missed out on. She's been "introduced" to just about every other part of you.......

I say screw all self doubt and let me purchase a CD.

You're stuff is good!

mary said...

i heard the letter o...and I like it. so I bet the rest of the cd will be rather likeable too.

Cate Bush said...

All I can say is that I want one too ... and I especially want one for James. Yay Walter!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, it's Dave Craven here, I would love to hear this CD. How do I go about getting a copy? You can email me at suededoesit@yahoo.com. I hope everyone is well! -Dave