11.08.2007

Out of the blue, an excerpt from a zine interview

Alison: In the latest zine you talk so beautifully about that, about cynicism and hope, and hope in the face of cynicism. You give practical suggestions, "here are some things that you might want to do," but also there’s the part where you say, "yes we can make a difference and in fact I think we can make more than a difference, I think we can change everything." It kind of blew my mind when I read it; you’re really speaking to exactly the sort of dilemma that I think we’re in right now, the people of good will in the cultural moment that we’re in.

Cindy Crabb: I feel like we can change everything. I mean, I definitely feel doomed a lot of times, but when I look at my grandma’s life, and my mom’s life, and my life, I feel like so much changed in the feminist movement as a woman in America. I feel like my options have changed so much. And despite all the terrible things that are happening, there’s really exciting things that are happening, and if we could just overthrow capitalism and have a good society based on mutual respect, then you know, we’d be halfway there. I guess just the history of people struggling when there’s absolutely no hope has given me a lot of hope.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose that's you and Baxter in the cartoon, is it, Alison? :)

Anonymous said...

If we only knew a little sooner about baxters knowledge of the universe...

Alison Piepmeier said...

I know, she looks a lot like Baxter! But that's Anna, Cindy's long-dead dog who was her constant companion and has become an iconic figure in the Doris zine.

Taylor said...

Hey! I was there for that moment! Drinking water out of a rusted mason jar... in a house with no air condition, but was still somehow magically cool. I still want a colored tulle skirt...