11.01.2007

Feminism out in public

Blogging from the road again, this time from Auburn, Alabama, where I've given a talk about feminism and met with wonderful Women's Studies students and faculty members. It's disappointing to Biffle (and to me) that I didn't get to go to Rural Studio, the incredible art/architecture/social justice fusion project started by Samuel Mockbee. But I did get to talk to several groups about making social change happen, and I'm going to be getting a copy of the Auburn Feminist Union's next zine when it comes out.

Now, as I'm lounging in the luxurious Auburn Hotel and Conference Center, I thought readers of Baxter Sez might be interested in knowing that my essay, the one that used to be called "Abortion: A Love Story," that I've talked about here and here before, is finally out in the world. Incidentally, Margaret Pilarski of Under My Skirt and In My Head and Debbie Siegel of Girl with Pen both have essays in this issue of skirt!, too.

Also, do you people know I have a website now?

8 comments:

Margaret said...

deborah's @ http://skirt.com/node/1218

i'm a [heavy breath] slave to youuuuuuuu... i spent my morning making sure it was up.

Aaron said...

good essay. I just realized that I hadn't read it yet.

It was good to hear the rest of the story. The last time we really talked about it was the night you told us. Whoever thought to do the ceremony was very wise.

A.

The Mom said...

I cried, of course, but your article is beautiful and beautifully written. I agree with Aaron, that it was good to see the whole story written out in "one piece".

Alexandrialeigh said...

I got a great email today in response to your essay. I forwarded it to you...

Unknown said...

You rock!

Alison Piepmeier said...

Thanks, everybody, for your comments. And thanks to Margaret I now have a link to Debbie's essay.

Quiche said...

Made me cry. Thank you for sharing that. I also LOVE the website- you mentioned Babeland in "Can You Be a Feminist and Be Sexy"- I'm grinning ear to ear! You're a diva, Alison!

mary said...

great essay alison- that took guts that i really don't have.