2.10.2008

"Choosing Us" on Feministing

This is old news, but the Baxter Sez readers who haven't already seen this might want to have a look at what Courtney Martin on Feministing had to say about my "Choosing Us" essay. One of my friends emailed me when she saw it online, and I was glad she did because it helped to explain why I was suddenly getting really supportive, positive emails about the essay rather than the expected barrage of nasty hate mail.

I'd thought that I was ready to let the whole thing go, but seeing all the positive comments on Feministing--and also the positive comments from Feministing readers that have been cropping up on the Skirt! site--has been really encouraging and validating. As I often tell my students, having a community of supportive people can make all the difference in the world when you're doing social justice work.

2 comments:

2SD (Two Show Days) said...

I saw this on Feministing randomly last week. Arthur and I thought it was beautiful. Your students are so lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the essay, but I love the part in your blog here about having a supportive community from which to do Social Justice work. It's exactly what I needed to read today, Alison.

I have an essay on Mountaintop Removal coming out in a magazine next month. I am circling the wagons for the running commentary.

Love you.

Kathy V.