4.24.2010

Girl Power

Kind of a cool moment this afternoon:  I just bought the book Girl Power:  The Nineties Revolution in Music by Marisa Meltzer, the woman who co-wrote How Sassy Changed My Life.  As I picked it up just now, I thought, "Huh.  Didn't I talk with Marisa Meltzer a couple of years ago, before the Girl Zines book came out?"  So I looked in the index, and there I am, three times.  That's cool, of course, but the coolest thing was that one of my quotes ends the book's preface:

Girl power is, as Professor Alison Piepmeier says of her own 10,000 Maniacs and Suzanne Vega-obsessed college years, about "seeking a culture of women's voices.  I knew I had things to say and I wanted to find women who were making a public space for themselves."  Girl power allows each of us to map out what it means to be a woman in the world, one song at a time.

Thus ends the preface, and begins the serious work of the book.  Every time she quotes me I sound so smart.  I had the fun experience of being impressed with my own ideas.  Everyone who quotes me should follow Marisa Meltzer's lead.

2 comments:

Jims said...

I'll be teaching your ideas if my summer course runs. I'm scheduled to teach Women and Politics, and I decided to make it social movement oriented and include new social movements (riot grrrl) and zines. So I'll be assigning some parts of Girl Zines if more than 3 students will ever sign up for the course.

Alison Piepmeier said...

Jims, having a book of mine used in a class taught by one of my brilliant former students is far more exciting than being in Marisa Meltzer's book. Just be sure to make me sound smart throughout. :)