5.15.2011

The universe

A while back on a friend's blog, I made the comment that the trouble with messages from the universe is that they're notoriously hard to interpret.  It's very easy to think, "Oh, the universe hates me!"  But in my life, I've rarely had that interpretation confirmed.

Case in point:  when Maybelle was born, I freaked out a bit.  I started looking for the message from the universe.  I will admit that I at least considered the option that maybe the universe wanted me to be a martyr, although I quickly regained enough good sense to decide I'd wait and see.

Damned mysterious universe.  If the universe could simply have sent me this video when Maybelle was born, I would have known that being Maybelle's mom was going to have moments of bliss perfectly suited to me.  Who, I ask you, enjoys terrible, free-form dancing as much as I do?  Maybelle!  And here she is, beautifully dancing and singing along with me to "I Want You to Want Me."  It's worth noting that, while this has long been one of her favorites, Biffle and I had foolishly and cruelly been playing her the original release, not the Live at Budokan version.  When Biffle put on the live version, her little body froze, her eyes wide, and she was clearly thinking, "This--this is what I've been waiting for!" And then she showed that she knows almost all the words.*


*The video gets a little less riveting as it goes along, so don't feel that you have to watch it all.  I mean, I want to watch it all, but you might not.
**Please notice my unintentionally appropriate t-shirt, and click here to learn about this fabulous summer event.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

That needs to go viral. Absolutely LOVE IT. I will never hear that song in same way again (and without thinking of your joyful Maybelle).

Alison Piepmeier said...

Thanks, Melissa!

krlr said...

Adorable. And nice signing, mom!

Deborah Siegel said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this. Am tweeting. Viral viral viral!!!! xo

Alison Piepmeier said...

Thanks for all the affection, y'all! I'll share it with Maybelle.

Lisa said...

that. was. AWESOME.

Pam said...

That's pretty wonderful. No martyrs in this video!

Crittle said...

Oh, that's so fun! I love it. What a wonderful welcome to your blog. Thank you so much for stopping by mine and letting me know that you did.