10.09.2011

Waffle House


Okay, I'm truly committed to the 31 for 21 project, but I'm finding it difficult in October--the busiest month of all time for me!--to blog every day.  I like the challenge, though, because it's helping me to confront my own perfectionism.  Here's a quick, non-perfect post.

When Maybelle woke up from her late nap today, she was still sort of exhausted, and also a combination of grouchy-hungry.  We hadn't had a lot of time for the whole family this weekend, so we decided to celebrate the three of us being together by going to Maybelle's favorite restaurant of all time:  Waffle House (or "House," as she sometimes calls it).

We didn't even put her shoes on (since Waffle House probably doesn't care that much about the "no shirt, no shoes" business).  We hopped in the car, and there we were.  She read the menu as she likes to do--identifying the coffee, the waffle, the eggs, the orange juice--but it seemed to make her realize just how hungry she was.  She got grouchier.  She got demanding.  She said things like, "I want to waffle!"

And then, the server brought a fresh, hot, plate sized waffle to our table.  And Maybelle raised her hands in the air and screamed with delight.  "Waffle!" she said.  "And syrup!"  I can tell why she's so well loved in that Waffle House:  how often do they get that kind of response?

She and I were ostensibly sharing the waffle, but I got only one quarter of it, and she ate the rest.  And looked at me suspiciously while I ate my tiny little part.

7 comments:

Catherine Bush said...

We call "grouch" + "hungry," "hungritable" in my family, or if you're Stephen and you're angry and hungry, "hangry." Fun post!

krlr said...

When we moved to the mid-west, Matt took me on a tour of his favorite fast food joints - The waffle house is the only one that made the cut. Yum!

Crittle said...

Sometimes I want to waffle, too. I can totally relate. And to the celebrating as well. I love food that much.

mary said...

i am adding "hungritable" and "hangry" to my vocabulary. good words.

TawandaBee said...

Cannot make a trip to Monteagle without hitting the House. I must admit, I get 2 eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, and a waffle. And yes, I can eat it all!

Heather Trahan said...

lSo, I'm a couple rooms down from you in AmericaInn, totally loving your blog. Your posts are sweet, quirky, and happy.

Hooray for you, Alison! And, again, I really loved your presentation tonight on zines. I feel like something sparked within me. Something new...new ideas...swirling around...

Have a safe trip back to Charleston!

Anonymous said...

adorable!